5th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE on PUBLIC SERVICE TRANSLATION and INTERPRETING
9th International Meeting on Translation
(RE)visiting ETHICS and Ideology
in Situations of Conflict
The Training and Research Group on Public Service Translation and Interpreting (FITISPos-UAH) at the University of Alcalá (UAH) (Madrid, Spain) are pleased to announce the 5th International Conference on Public Service Interpreting and Translation (9th International Meeting on Translation) to be hosted at the University of Alcalá, on the 3rd and 4th of April 2014.
The main theme of the Conference is (Re)visiting Ethics and Ideology in Situations of Conflict, focusing on the following topics:
- Discussion on ethical issues in practice, research and teaching
- Studies about interpreters and translators in conflict
- Interpreting and translating for victims of war, sexual assault, survivors of torture and trauma, refugees, etc.
- Exploring ideological clashes and encounters in translating and interpreting.
- Analyses of aspects related to advances of PSIT in local, national, and international institutions in different countries.
- Analyses of aspects related to mediation and interpreting
- The Conference will include plenary lectures, papers, seminars, posters and round tables. Participants delivering papers will have a maximum of 30 min (the discussion/questions time included).
Over 50 speakers (researchers, practitioners, trainers, academics, public service authorities) from approx. 20 countries will gather on the days of the conference to discuss and debate on topics of significant relevance nowadays in the context of Translation and Interpreting and beyond, following the path of the previous Conferences held in 2002, 2005, 2008 and 2011.
Morever, among the speakers you will find well-know professionals and experts within the field of Translation and Interpreting, as well as representatives from different institutions, associations and ministries participating in Plenary Lectures, Round Tables or Workshops. Don’t miss the opportunity to meet them!
Invited plenary speakers
- Marjory Bancroft (Cross-Cultural Communications,USA)
- Linda Fitchett (Conference Interpreter, AIIC)
- Erik Hertog (KU Leuven, Belgium)
- Rebecca Tipton (University of Manchester, UK)
- Representatives of the EU- DGTranslation and EU DGInterpretation
- Representatives of the European Network of Community Interpreting and Translation Services
- Representatives of institutions in charge of the implementation of the Directive 2010/64 EU
Round tables on specific topics:
- Conflicts in PSIT and research projects
- Conflicts in PSIT and gender violence
- Transposition of the Directive 2010/64 on the right to interpretation and translation in criminal proceedings
Pre-Conference Worshops and Seminars
Don’t miss the specialised pre-conference workshops and seminars which will be held on the 1st and 2nd April! More information will be available soon.
We encourage all those who are interested in Intercultural Communication and Translation and Interpreting, as well as the representative of the professional and academic communities, educational authorities, public and private institutions, students and public in general to attend and participate our forum for dialogue in this changing society.
The official languages will be Spanish and English.
Participants delivering papers will have a maximum of 20 min (the discussion/questions time included).
Registration is open!
Visit this website for up-to-date information on the Conference!
FITISPos Group-University of Alcalá,
Training and Research in Public Service
Interpreting and Translation